Hall and Gardens
Capesthorne is the much loved home of the Bromley-Davenports, a site on which they and their ancestors, the Wards and Capesthornes, have lived since Domesday times. The present house, built between 1719 and 1732, replaced an earlier building which stood on the site of the column in the park.
The estate is a tranquil haven of wildlife, parkland and formal gardens. Through the Milanese gates, opposite the chapel, alongside the estate’s chain of lakes, merge colourful perennials with more unusual 18th century plants, maples and cherry trees.
In 1955 the family took the then unusual step of opening their house to the public. This has made it possible for the present generation to continue by establishing a Heritage Property and Maintenance Fund. Thanks to this it remains in the family.