Join us in the grounds of Capesthorne Hall for a landscape painting summer school with Charles Hickson. Aimed at all levels, from novice to experienced artist.
The course references other painters and the artist’s own work in order to stimulate activity. Sessions begin with a demonstration by the artist covering composition, starting the painting, brush techniques and colour mixing.
Subjects include: buildings and structures; with guidance on viewpoint and perspective. trees and plants; to include colour mixing. skies and all the basic elements of a landscape composition. A variety of media will be covered, from pencil. charcoal, ink and wash through to watercolour, acrylic and mixed media.
Specific sessions during the week covering:
- Tree studies in pencil, charcoal and pastel.
- Trees in context with surroundings in watercolour.
- Buildings or building detail – basic perspective and mark making.
- Selective composition placing a building into its environment.
- Plants in detail – study sheet of varieties & species.
- Identifying a plant’s unique character – watercolour / oil / ink and wash.
- Pen and ink study of landscape.
- Pastel drawing of an alternative panoramic landscape.
- Putting it all together.
- Painting in watercolour showing detail versus a contrasting looser background of brush strokes.
- Completing the painting followed by group critique of the weeks work.
To book your place and enquire about prices please contact Charles – www.charleshickson.co.uk . Places are limited so book early to avoid disappointment.