A Little bit of History
Capesthorne is home to the Bromley-Davenports, a site on which they and their ancestors have lived since Domesday times.
The present house, built between 1719 and 1732 by Francis & William Smith, replaced an earlier building which stood on the site
of the column in the front park. Striking alterations were made to the Hall in 1837 by Edward Blore.
Following a disastrous fire in 1861, the centre section of the Hall was rebuilt by Anthony Salvin.
Capesthorne is filled with beautiful antique furniture, marble sculptures, tapestries and fine art from family portraits to a painting of the
Hall by L S Lowry. There is a family tree showing how the Bromley-Davenport branch of the family traces back to Domesday.